In the world of technology and business, in order to remain competitive, it is necessary to keep your skills updated.
But ‘traditional’ courses are longwinded and often, quite expensive. Whilst these are still highly worthwhile courses, it requires a high level of commitment from the students, to be able to complete them to the end.
This is often at odds with the differing work and shift patterns in modern life. No longer do we all work a set nine to five. Overtime, shift patterns and the juggling of various work and life commitments means more and more, professionals are struggling to be able to make a regular college course.
This is one reason for the emergence of the micro course. These are elements of what may have previously been offered as a part of a much longer course. In effect, a micro course is a piecemeal approach, which breaks topics down into much smaller ones, that can be taught a lot quicker.
These are no less important or respectable than their longer counterparts, it just means that a professional can take which parts they think they need to, at a time of their own convenience.
Nearly thirty percent of the 6000 respondents to a survey into micro certification courses, said that they had done a course for free. This also makes them far more accessible to the more expensive, traditional courses available in IT.
It would seem that the micro certification course is the new way ahead for the busy professional to learn new skills, swiftly and effectively.
MICRO CERTIFICATION COURSE FACTS
- 65% SAID THEY’D TAKE A MICRO COURSE IF THEIR WORKPLACE OFFERED IT
- JUST OVER HALF OF MANAGERS (53%) HIRING SAY MICRO COURSES GIVE AN ENTRY LEVEL CANDIDATE THE EDGE
- 38% OF TECH PROFESSIONALS SAID THEY HAVE UNDERTAKEN A MICRO CERTIFICATION COURSE
- 68% OF PEOPLE WHO HAD TAKEN ONE SAID THEY WOULD RECOMMEND A SIMILAR COURSE TO COLLEAGUES AND FRIENDS
- 58% OF TECH PROS SAID THE MICRO COURSES HAD THE SAME WEIGHT AS MORE TRADITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- 23% OF PEOPLE SURVEYED SAID THE MICRO CERTIFICATION HAD ADVANCED THEM IN THEIR CURRENT JOB
- 41% THOUGHT THE MICRO COURSE HELPED THEM TO KEEP PACE AT WORK AND UNDERSTAND THE CHANGING WORLD AROUND THEM
- 32% OF PEOPLE SURVEYED DON’T HAVE THE TIME TO COMMIT TO A MORE LENGTHY TRADITIONAL COURSE
- HALF OF IT PROS SAID THEIR COMPANY SPENDS $25K (£20K) A YEAR ON IT SKILLS
- 28% OF RESPONDENTS TOOK A MICRO COURSE FOR FREE
- 30% OF RESPONDENTS SAID THEIR COURSE COST LESS THAN $50 (£40)
- 65% OF RESPONDENTS PLAN TO TAKE A MICRO COURSE IN THE FUTURE
- 41% OF PEOPLE SURVEYED THOUGHT PROVIDING MICRO COURSES IN THEIR WORKPLACE WOULD BENEFIT THEIR EMPLOYER.
- 12% OF RESPONDENTS SAID THE MICRO COURSE HELPED THEM LAND THEIR CURRENT JOB
- 37% OF THOSE SURVEYED LIKED THE FACT THEY COULD LEARN AT THEIR OWN PACE
- 28% OF RESPONDENTS PREFERRED TAKING MANY SMALLER COURSES OVER ONE LONGER ONE